Finding a developer to create your app in 2022 requires a combination of different sets of skills depending on the complexity of the project. Every app is unique, yet each requires a unique set of skills to turn business ideas into reality.
You can build your own in-house team, hire a freelancer, or use a professional outsource app development company.
Let's take a look at what to consider while looking for an app developer, how to find a developer for an app, and where.
Who is an app developer?
An app developer is a skilled professional who specializes in designing, creating, and maintaining applications for mobile devices, such as smartphones and tablets. They are responsible for the entire development process, from conceptualizing the idea to implementing the app design and functionality of the application.
App developers have a strong understanding of programming languages, such as Java, Swift, or Kotlin, depending on the platform they are developing for (Android or iOS). They are proficient in using development frameworks, software development kits (SDKs), and integrated development environments (IDEs) to build robust and user-friendly applications.
The responsibilities of an app developer include analyzing user requirements, designing the user interface (UI) and user experience (UX), coding the application's features and functionalities, testing for bugs and performance issues, and deploying the app to the relevant app stores.
What skills does an app developer need?
To excel as an app developer, having platform-specific skills is essential. This means being proficient in the programming languages, frameworks, and development tools associated with the platform(s) you're developing for, such as Android or iOS. Key platform-specific skills include:
- Android Development: For Android app development, proficiency in Java or Kotlin is crucial. Understanding the Android Software Development Kit (SDK), Android Studio, and the Android platform's architecture is necessary.
- iOS Development: To develop apps for iOS devices, knowledge of programming languages like Swift or Objective-C is essential. Proficiency in Apple's integrated development environment (IDE) Xcode, understanding of iOS frameworks, and familiarity with Apple's Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) are vital.
Mobile developers must also possess device-specific skills to ensure their applications deliver a seamless user experience on various devices and screen sizes. These skills include:
- Responsive Design: App developers should be adept at creating responsive user interfaces that adapt to different screen sizes and orientations. This involves utilizing adaptive layouts, auto-layout constraints, and scalable assets to ensure optimal display on various devices.
- Fragmentation Management: Given the diverse range of Android devices available, app developers must understand how to handle device fragmentation effectively. This includes accommodating variations in screen resolutions, aspect ratios, and hardware capabilities to ensure consistent performance across devices.
Domain-specific skills refer to the knowledge and expertise required to develop applications for specific industries or purposes. Some common domain-specific skills include:
- User Experience (UX) Design: App developers should have a solid understanding of UX principles to create intuitive and user-friendly interfaces. This involves conducting user research, designing wireframes and prototypes, and implementing user feedback to enhance the app's usability.
- Backend Development: Many apps require server-side components to handle data storage, user authentication, and communication with external APIs. Proficiency in backend technologies like Node.js, Python, or PHP, as well as databases like MySQL or MongoDB, is valuable for app developers.
- Security and Privacy: Talented developers need to prioritize security and privacy considerations during development. Knowledge of secure coding practices, encryption techniques, and data protection measures helps in safeguarding user information and preventing vulnerabilities.
- Performance Optimization: Optimizing app performance is crucial for a smooth user experience. Skilled developers should be familiar with techniques such as caching, minimizing network requests, and optimizing resource usage to enhance app development speed and responsiveness.
Option 1: Hire app developers in-house
Pros of In-House Hiring
- Direct control and supervision: Hiring application developers in-house allows for close collaboration and direct control over the development process. You can closely monitor progress, provide real-time feedback, and make necessary adjustments as needed.
- Team integration: In-house developers can integrate seamlessly with your existing team, fostering strong communication and collaboration. They can align with your company's culture, values, and goals, leading to better teamwork and synergy.
- Dedicated resources: Dedicated developers are solely focused on your projects, ensuring their undivided attention and commitment. They have a deeper understanding of your business needs, enabling them to deliver tailored solutions.
Cons of In-House Hiring
- Higher costs: Hiring and maintaining an in-house app development team can be costly. You need to consider expenses like salaries, benefits, equipment, software licenses, and ongoing training, which may strain your budget, especially for smaller businesses.
- Limited expertise: In-house developers may have expertise in a specific technology stack or platform. If your project requires specialized skills or knowledge outside their expertise, you may need to hire additional resources or invest in training.
- Limited scalability: Scaling your team up or down can be challenging with in-house hiring. When workloads fluctuate, you may face difficulties adjusting your team size accordingly, leading to resource inefficiencies.
Option 2: Hire app developers on a freelance basis
Pros of Freelance
- Flexibility and cost-effectiveness: Freelance developers offer flexibility in terms of project duration and workload. You can hire them on a per-project basis, allowing you to scale resources as needed. Freelancers often have lower hourly rates compared to full-time employees, potentially reducing costs.
- Diverse expertise: Freelance platforms provide access to a wide talent pool with diverse skill sets and domain expertise. You can find app developers specialized in different programming languages, frameworks, and industries, allowing you to select the best fit for your project requirements.
- Faster hiring process: Hiring freelancers can be faster compared to traditional hiring methods. You can often find available freelancers with the required skills quickly, start the project promptly, and avoid lengthy recruitment processes.
Cons of Freelance
- Lack of direct control: Freelance app developer works remotely, which means you have limited control and supervision over their work. Flexible communication schedules and coordination challenges may arise, potentially impacting project management and quality assurance.
- Limited long-term commitment: Freelance developers for hire may not be as invested in your project or company compared to in-house developers. They may prioritize other app projects, leading to potential delays or less commitment to your project's success.
- Potential reliability issues: While many freelancers are reliable professionals, there is a risk of encountering less dependable individuals who may miss deadlines, deliver subpar work, or disappear unexpectedly. Thoroughly vetting freelancers and seeking recommendations can mitigate this risk.
Option 3. Outsourcing companies and agencies
Pros of Outsourcing
- Access to specialized expertise: Outsourcing companies often have a diverse team of skilled developer with experience in various technologies and domains. They can provide access to specialized talent, enabling you to work with professionals experienced in app development.
- Cost savings: Outsourcing app development can be cost-effective, especially if you have a limited budget. You can avoid upfront investments in infrastructure, recruitment, and training. Additionally, outsourcing companies in certain regions may offer competitive rates.
- Scalability and flexibility: Outsourcing allows you to scale resources based on project requirements. You can ramp up or downsize the team as needed without the administrative burdens associated with hiring and managing in-house employees.
Cons of Outsourcing
- Communication and coordination challenges: Working with an outsourcing company may introduce communication and coordination challenges due to different time zones, language barriers, or cultural differences. It is important to establish effective communication channels and ensure clear project requirements and expectations.
- Potential quality concerns: Outsourcing introduces the risk of varying quality standards. It's important to thoroughly vet and select a reputable outsourcing company with a track record of delivering high-quality work. Regular communication, feedback, and quality assurance processes are crucial to maintain the desired level of quality.
- Intellectual property and data security: When outsourcing app development, you may need to share sensitive information and intellectual property with the outsourcing company. It's essential to have proper legal agreements and security measures in place to protect your intellectual property and ensure the confidentiality of your data.
When Hiring App Developers as an Outsource Team Is The Best Choice
When it comes to developing a mobile app for your business, making the right decision regarding the development team is crucial. So, you need to know how to find app developers properly. In many cases, outsourcing app developers can be the best choice for several reasons.
Firstly, if you outsource app developers you can tap into a global talent pool. By working with an outsourced team, you gain access to skilled professionals from around the world, increasing your chances of finding mobile app development experts who align perfectly with your project requirements.
Secondly, outsourcing app development often proves to be a cost-effective solution. Instead of hiring an in-house team and bearing the associated expenses such as recruitment, training, infrastructure, and benefits, outsourcing enables you to save on these costs. Additionally, outsourcing allows you to pay for specific development tasks or projects, reducing overhead expenses.
Thirdly, outsourcing app developers brings flexibility and scalability to your project. With an outsourced team, you have the flexibility to scale up or down based on your project needs. Whether you require a small team for a short-term project or a larger team for a long-term engagement, outsourcing gives you the agility to adapt to changing demands.
Preparations Steps Before Finding App Developers
Outline your project requirements
Clearly define and document the specific requirements of your project. Identify the objectives, functionalities, and desired Decide on the app type
Determine the type of apps you want to develop. Is it a mobile app, web app, or desktop app? Consider the target platform(s) and the user experience you want to deliver. This decision will impact the technologies and frameworks used during development.
Measure future developers' experience and skills
Assess the experience and skills of the developers who will be working on your project. Look for relevant expertise, such as specific programming languages, frameworks, or domain knowledge. Check their portfolios, past projects, and client testimonials to ensure they are capable of meeting your requirements.
Clarify possible communication issues
Identify potential communication challenges that may arise during the project. Discuss the time zone differences, preferred communication channels, and availability of team members. Clear and effective communication is crucial for successful collaboration, so establish a communication plan to ensure smooth interactions.
Discuss the project timeline
Set clear deadlines and milestones for your project. Discuss the expected timeline with your development team and ensure that it aligns with your business goals and constraints. Factor in any dependencies or external factors that may affect the timeline, and allow for flexibility to accommodate unforeseen circumstances.
Agree on long-term relationships
Consider the possibility of a long-term relationship with the development team. Discuss ongoing maintenance, updates, and support after the initial development phase. Building a long-term partnership can provide continuity, stability, and improved efficiency for future iterations and enhancements.
Negotiate a project budget beforehand
Establish a clear understanding of the project budget before proceeding. Discuss pricing models, payment terms, and any additional reasonable price that may arise during development. It's important to ensure that the budget aligns with your expectations and the scope of the project to avoid potential conflicts later on.
How to Find App Developers?
1. Ask a friend or colleague for references
Reach out to your network and ask for recommendations from friends, colleagues, or business partners who have hired app developers before. Personal referrals can provide valuable insights and trustworthy recommendations.
2. Research the hiring platforms
The next step of how to find someone to develop an app guide is to explore various hiring platforms, such as freelancing websites, job boards, and specialized developer communities. These platforms often have profiles and reviews of app developers, allowing you to find experienced app developer based on their skills and expertise.
3. Check the app developer's portfolio
Review the portfolios of app developers to assess their previous work. Look for projects similar to yours, and evaluate the quality, functionality, and design of their applications. A strong portfolio indicates their capabilities and can give you an app idea of what to expect.
4. Analyze testimonials
Read testimonials or reviews from previous clients to gain insights into the app developer's professionalism, communication skills, and ability to meet deadlines. Positive testimonials can indicate a reliable and competent developer.
5. Discover their development approach
Engage in discussions with potential app developers to understand their app development approach. Assess their methodologies, such as Agile or Waterfall, and determine if they align with your project's requirements. A developer who follows a well-defined app development process can ensure smoother project execution.
6. Discover technology stack
Inquire about the technology stack the app developer uses. Ensure they are proficient in the programming languages, frameworks, and tools required for your project. Compatibility with your desired technology stack is essential for a successful collaboration.
7. Review the culture of the company
Evaluate the culture and values of the app development company. Consider factors such as their work ethic, communication style, and team dynamics. A company with a positive and collaborative culture can contribute to a more productive and enjoyable development experience.
8. Talk with the team
Have conversations with the app development team members who will be directly involved in your project. Assess their communication skills, domain knowledge, and enthusiasm for the project. A cohesive and skilled team is crucial for achieving successful outcomes.
9. Consider budget
Discuss the project budget with the app developers and ensure it aligns with your financial constraints. Consider the value provided by the developers and their ability to deliver a high-quality app within your budget. Strike a balance between cost and quality to find the best fit.
Maintain open and clear communication with the app developers throughout the hiring process. Discuss your expectations, project requirements, and timelines. Effective communication is vital for establishing a strong working relationship and ensuring that everyone is on the same page.
Hiring App Developers: How Much Does it Cost?
The cost of hiring app developers can vary depending on several factors, including the complexity of the project, the level of expertise required, and the location of the development team.
Firstly, the complexity of the app plays a significant role in determining the cost. Simple apps with basic features will generally cost less compared to cross-platform applications with advanced functionalities and integrations. The more intricate the app requirements, the more time and effort developers will need to invest, resulting in higher costs.
Secondly, the level of expertise required from the app developers impacts the cost. Highly skilled developers with extensive experience and a proven track record typically charge higher rates. Their expertise may be necessary for complex projects or those that require specific technical skills, such as augmented reality (AR), artificial intelligence (AI), or blockchain integration.
Where to Find App Developers?
Now that you've begun to consider hiring an app developer, you may be wondering where to find them. In reality, it's a rather simple procedure.
You may start looking for an app developer or agency in a few places:
1. Freelance websites
If you want to work as a freelancer, check at leading freelance sites like Toptal, UpWork, Fiverr, and Hired. These sites will have the top applicants since they have been thoroughly screened. In reality, just 3% of candidates are accepted by Toptal. Furthermore, most platforms offer transparent fees, so you can know how much a freelancer would cost right away.
2. Tech blogs
When looking for an app developer, blogs like Wired, The Verge, and TechCrunch are excellent resources. They will usually contain information regarding app development and the entire process, so you can go into the process well-informed.
3. Creative communities
Dribbble and Behance are two online forums where designers and developers may publish portfolios and examples of their work. If you see someone you like, you may contact them and learn more about them.
4. B2B directories
If you plan to use an agency, look into B2B directories where organizations can be found with information, reviews, and ratings. Clutch.co, B2B Marketing, and Relevance are all terrific places to start.
5. Your network
Another area that is easy to overlook is your personal network. Inquire around. See if anyone you know knows of an app developer with whom they have contact.
Finally, the holy grail. The only difficulty with Google is that you must be cautious and properly vet everyone or anything you encounter on it. To summarize, we've discussed how to discover an app developer and where to start your search. The only question now is when to begin this procedure.
Why Hire App Developers at PioGroup?
PioGroup Software specializes in web development and mobile app development, but what differentiates us from our competitors is that we are more than simply an outstaffing or technical services company; we are with you every step of the way. PioGroup is ready to collaborate with companies from all around the world. We are currently working with clients from the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, and the European Union. We’ve already completed more than 300 projects during our 12 years of experience. The main industry we focus on is EdTech, but we have expertise in other fields like eCommerce, FinTech, Healthcare, etc.
PioGroup tech stack:MySQL, Node.js, React.js, PHP, Angular, Laravel, Magento, Drupal, AWS, Symfony, WordPress
PioGroup Software offers the following cooperation models:
A dedicated team is formed by establishing an autonomous group of developers who work full-time for a customer. PioGroup Software provides all employee perks, such as our shared office space and inviting working atmosphere, as well as excellent hardware and work tools, but we also care deeply about our workers' professional growth, personal well-being, and off-the-clock entertainment.
Time and material
Our Time & Material engagement approach implies that invoicing is based on the amount of time spent on development as well as the cost of materials and equipment used. This methodology is adaptable to shifting timeframes and resource requirements. It is an excellent framework for projects that are likely to vary during the development phase or when estimating the overall project size is difficult.
You can look at our portfolio to see what projects we’ve developed and come up with your own business ideas.
Our services include:
- Business analysis
- UI/UX design
- Web app development
- Mobile app development
- Quality assurance
- Project support and maintenance
- Instructional design
- Solution-based development
- Consulting and audit
- Dedicated Team
Now you know how to find an app developer. Creating a mobile application may drive your company to thousands of new clients and future success. Don't forget to look at our mobile app development services while searching for the ideal developer. If you're ready to develop an app for your company, let us know so we can begin planning a successful launch strategy.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire An App Developer?
The cost of hiring a developer varies according to location and skill set required. The average hourly wage for a middle app developer in Ukraine is $50, whereas it is $150 in the United States.
How To Find Good App Developers?
Finding a decent app developer requires a number of considerations, including approach compatibility, specialization, and skill sets. The following employment sites have big pools of app developers: